Mission: Big Brothers Big Sisters mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
Position: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Agency: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County
Location: Santa Cruz County, California
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County (BBBSSC) seeks a dynamic and results-oriented Executive Director (ED) to grow our youth mentoring organization and deepen our impact. The ED will lead the organization to achieve our mission to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth and fulfill our vision that all youth achieve their full potential.
The Executive Director leads a team of four full-time employees, in addition to several part-time professionals and contractors to advance the mission, strategy, values and goals of the agency. The ED is responsible for formulating and executing the strategic vision of the agency, including fundraising and management of an annual budget of approximately $500,000. The ED is also the public face of BBBSSC and serves as its ambassador to the media, policymakers, funders and other stakeholders, including the families we serve, our volunteers, donors, staff and the Board of Directors.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for programmatic, fundraising, marketing, financial and administrative management of the organization. The ED will play a strong, visible, and strategic role in developing and implementing strategic plans to promote growth, impact, and long-term sustainability. Effective fundraising and the ability to cultivate relationships with major donors and key stakeholders is an essential, along with development and management of a talented staff and Board of Directors.
Show Us the Money:
- Lead the agency in the creation of fund development opportunities. Create and implement a fund development plan linked to the operating budget that aligns with mission implementation.
- Read and understand financial documents including budgets, cash flow, income statements, balance statements etc.
- Manage grant writing and program funding including major gifts, corporate giving, grants, and additional financial contributions.
- Increase BBBS’ exposure by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Identify potential donors and sponsors consistent with legal and ethical fundraising practices.
- Oversee BBBSSC signature events including Bowl for Kids Sake and the Day on the Monterey Bay Regatta, among others.
Planning and Oversight:
- Develop and facilitate an organizational development and strategic planning process.
- Identify and track organizational goals and objectives.
- Hire, train, and retain motivated, innovative, highly qualified staff.
- Develop and administer operational and financial policies with the Board.
- Provide ongoing evaluation of the agency’s activities to strengthen operations.
- Assess technology needs and implement new programs to maximize efficiencies.
Communication is Key:
- Build brand awareness through strategic marketing and promotion of the BBBS brand through print, email, and social media channels to inspire new volunteers, donors, and community partners to support the mission.
- Serve as BBBSSC’s primary community liaison and spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public.
- Ensure appropriate representation of BBBSSC by all staff.
- Positively represent BBBSSC at the local, state, and national levels.
Lead Equitably and Inclusively:
- Create an inspiring and engaging environment for staff.
- Work with the Board of Directors, staff, and affiliate leaders to establish strategic direction.
- Develop and execute plans for building engagement/retention/expansion of staff, donors, and mentors.
- Oversee organizational programs, ensuring full compliance with the BBBS of America Standards of Practice; ensuring programmatic objectives are met or exceeded; preparing reports of program evaluation to determine impact; analyzing data to improve program quality for youth outcomes.
- Be a thought leader by gaining knowledge of the latest research on mentoring, youth development, education, adverse childhood experiences and resilience.
- You’re self-motivated. You create your own organizational systems and can hold yourself and others accountable. You expertly navigate managing all levels of an organization.
- You are fast-paced and high-energy. You have a bias towards action. You can move rapidly through ever-changing environments and have the ability to shift priorities on a dime.
- You find ambiguity exciting. You see potential in any situation and can leverage that potential. You love change management and understand the complexities of integrating new systems with an existing team. Availability to work evening and weekend hours.
- You’re a people person. You love managing people and understand how to optimize the experiences of co-workers and external partners..
- You’re an expert multi-tasker. You have experience juggling multiple projects at once from start to finish with detailed planning and persistent execution.
- You have a great sense of humor. You bring levity to the work, have fun, and don’t take yourself too seriously!
- You can drive and have a clean record. Valid California license, current automobile insurance. Willingness and ability to use your own car for agency business. Fingerprint records required.
- Bilingual a bonus! Bilingual or conversational Spanish language skills are super helpful.
COMMITMENT, COMPENSATION, AND BENEFITS
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $85,000 – $95,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
Email any questions or send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
BBBSSC is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all qualified individuals. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County 1500 41st Ave, Ste. 250, Capitola, CA 95010